Our History

History of Victoria Almshouses

1897 was the year of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee and the Reigate Borough Council arranged a number of commemorative projects. One of these projects was the building of Almshouses to provide accommodation for retired citizens of the Borough who had spent their working lives in service or tied housing.

The foundation stone for the first building was laid on a site in Deerings Road, Reigate in April 1900 and the Charity’s Trust Deed was completed later that year. Housing was initially provided for 4 couples and 4 single ladies. The charity has grown over the years and now has more than 40 residents on two sites, the original Deerings Road site and one in London Road, Redhill which was developed in the 1950’s.